Re: backtrace_on_internal_error

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: backtrace_on_internal_error
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 at 19:30, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think we should consider unconditionally emitting a backtrace when
>>> an elog() is hit, instead of requiring a GUC.

>> Perhaps this should be a GUC that defaults to LOG or ERROR.

> I can't speak for Nathan, but my reason would be that I'm not in the
> habit to attach a debugger to my program to keep track of state
> progression, but instead use elog() during patch development. I'm not
> super stoked for getting my developmental elog(LOG)-s spammed with
> stack traces, so I'd want to set this at least to ERROR, while in
> production LOG could be fine.

Yeah, I would not be happy either with elog(LOG) suddenly getting
10x more verbose.  I think it might be okay to unconditionally do this
when elevel >= ERROR, though.

(At the same time, I don't have a problem with the idea of a GUC
controlling the minimum elevel to cause the report.  Other people
might have other use-cases than I do.)