Re: multivariate statistics v14

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: multivariate statistics v14
Дата
Re: multivariate statistics v14  (Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 03/26/2016 10:18 AM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> Fair point. Attached is v18 of the patch, after pgindent cleanup.
>
> Here are some feedbacks to v18 patch.
>
> 1) regarding examples in create_statistics manual
>
> Here are numbers I got. "with statistics" referrers to the case where
> multivariate statistics are used.  "without statistics" referrers to the
> case where multivariate statistics are not used. The numbers denote
> estimated_rows/actual_rows. Thus closer to 1.0 is better. Some numbers
> are shown as a fraction to avoid 0 division. In my understanding case
> 1, 3, 4 showed that multivariate statistics superior.
>
>     with statistics    without statistics
> case1    0.98        0.01
> case2    98/0        1/0

The case2 shows that functional dependencies assume that the conditions
used in queries won't be incompatible - that's something this type of
statistics can't fix.

> case3    1.05        0.01
> case4    1/0        103/0
> case5    18.50        18.33
> case6    111123/0    1111123/0

The last two lines (case5 + case6) seem a bit suspicious. I believe
those are for the histogram data, and I do get these numbers:

case5    0.93 (5517 / 5949)         42.0 (249943 / 5949)
case6    100/0                      100/0

Perhaps you've been using the version before the bugfix, with ANALYZE on
the wrong table?

> 2) following comments by me are not addressed in the v18 patch.
>
>> - There's no docs for pg_mv_statistic (should be added to "49. System
>>   Catalogs")
>>
>> - The word "multivariate statistics" or something like that should
>>   appear in the index.
>>
>> - There are some explanation how to deal with multivariate statistics
>>   in "14.1 Using Explain" and "14.2 Statistics used by the Planner"
>>   section.

Yes, those are valid omissions. I plan to address them, and I'd also
considering adding a section to 65.1 (How the Planner Uses Statistics),
explaining more thoroughly how the planner uses multivariate stats.

regards