Re: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type on Illumos

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type on Illumos
Дата
Re: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type on Illumos  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 at 00:53, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Likely there's an unrelated warning triggering the configure test to
>> fail. We'd need to see config.log to see what that is.

> Thanks for your quick reply. Attach the config.log.

Yup:

conftest.c:139:5: error: no previous prototype for 'does_int64_work' [-Werror=missing-prototypes]
  139 | int does_int64_work()
      |     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
configure:17003: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1

This warning is harmless normally, but breaks the configure probe if
you enable -Werror.

No doubt we could improve that test snippet so that it does not
trigger that warning.  But trying to make configure safe for -Werror
seems like a fool's errand, for these reasons:

* Do you really want to try to make all of configure's probes proof
against every compiler warning everywhere?

* Many of the test snippets aren't readily under our control, as they
are supplied by Autoconf.

* In the majority of cases, any such failures would be silent, as
configure would just conclude that the feature it is probing for
isn't there.  So even finding there's a problem would be difficult.

The short answer is that Autoconf is not designed to support -Werror
and it's not worth it to try to make it do so.

От: Japin Li
Сообщение: Re: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type on Illumos
От: Jeff Davis
Сообщение: Re: Built-in CTYPE provider