RE: [GENERAL] Comments on columns?

От Michael Davis
Тема RE: [GENERAL] Comments on columns?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I created functions to add comments based on the table and column name
rather than using the oids.  I include these calls as part of my table
creation scripts.  I assume that by initdb you mean when the database is
created than when Postgres is started.  If the oids can change every time
you start Posgtres, this would be a problem.

I can upload my functions for integrating into Postgres as a standard way to
add comments (if requested).  Maybe we should consider attaching
descriptions to a table and or column name rather than an oid?

On another note, I have been following the thread about passing NULL
parameters into a C function call.  What is happening with this?  If a
parameter of a C function call contains NULL, the function is either not
called or returns NULL.  I would like to change this so that my C function
can return a value even though its parameters are NULL.

Thanks, Michael

    -----Original Message-----
    From:    Bruce Momjian [SMTP:maillist@candle.pha.pa.us]
    Sent:    Friday, March 12, 1999 11:31 AM
    To:    Michael Davis
    Cc:    pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org
    Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] Comments on columns?

    > I did that and it works great.  I would like \dd tablename to show
the table
    > comment and its column comments.

    Yes, I would like this too, and have considered it.  The problem I
have
    had with system tables is that the oid of the table and columns is
    generated at initdb time, and not assigned constant values as the
    pg_proc entries are.

    I could modify psql to show comments, but I can't figure out how to
get
    the system tables to show this.

    In fact, the TODO list has:

      * allow pg_descriptions when creating types, tables, columns, and
functions

      +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
19026