Re: Wire protocol docs

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Wire protocol docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> Right. My complaint though, is that the docs imply that the info on
>> how those values get set is in the docs somewhere, which appears to be
>> incorrect.
>
> The libpq documentation does cover the fact that libpq uses those
> variables to establish initial settings.  I wouldn't expect it to
> go into implementation details, would you?

Not the libpq docs, no. I was expecting something to though, having
been told in the intro to the low level protocol details that:

"Higher level features built on this protocol (for example, how libpq
passes certain environment variables when the connection is
established) are covered elsewhere."

Note that it says *how* libpq passes those variables which implies the
mechanism of passing them to the server. Anyway, I can figure out what
I need from the existing code - I just found that sentence misleading
and think it should probably be removed.

--
Dave Page