Re: Problem with pg_restore into new database

От Mr. John
Тема Re: Problem with pg_restore into new database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks Raymond
"pg_restore.exe"  -h 192.168.1.1 -p 5432 -U postgres -d "postgres"  -C "stru.tar"   2>>log_resto.txt
 echo %errorlevel% >err_resto.txt
created and  restored my database  with the name saved in backup
Thanks a lot.

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>
To: Mr. John <mr_johnmr@yahoo.com>
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 1:49:17 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problem with pg_restore into new database

On 17/11/2008 11:26, Mr. John wrote:
> I read pg_restore documentation and what I understood is that  using
> pg_restore.exe with -C will create  the database named in backup archive
> or specified with -d

You have to connect to *some* database, as Postgres doesn't have the
concept of just connecting to the server without connecting to a database.

Postgres has a maintenance database called "postgres" which is empty,
and it's normal to use this for initial connections if you haven't
already got a specific database to work with. In psql, there's a \c
command with changes the database to which you're connected, and you'll
see this command used in the output from pg_dump to connect to the
database being dumped.

HTH,

Ray.