Re: Re: 7.2 items

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: 7.2 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Franck Martin <franck@sopac.org> writes:
> The  uuidgen  program creates a new universally unique identifier (UUID)
> using the libuuid(3)
>        library.  The new UUID can reasonably be considered unique among all
> UUIDs  created  on  the
>        local system, and among UUIDs created on other systems in the past and
> in the future.

"Reasonably considered"?

In other words, this is a 64-bit random number generator.  Sorry, I
think the odds of collision would be uncomfortably high if we were to
use such a thing for OIDs ... certainly so on installations that are
worried about running out of 32-bit OIDs.  It sounds to me like uuidgen
is built on the assumption that only relatively small numbers of IDs
will be demanded from it.