Odd performance results

От Medora Schauer
Тема Odd performance results
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I have a table with a 3 column key.  I noticed that when I update a non-key field
in a record of the table that the update was taking longer than I thought it
should.  After much experimenting I discovered that if I changed the data
types of two of the key columns to FLOAT8 that I got vastly improved
performance.

Orignally the data types of the 3 columns were FLOAT4, FLOAT4 and INT4.
My plaform is a PowerPC running Linux.  I speculated that the performance
improvement might be because the PowePC is a 64 bit processor but when
I changed the column data types to INT8, INT8 and INT4 I din't see any
improvement.  I also ran my test code on a Pentium 4 machine with the same
results in all cases.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  Why would FLOAT8 keys ever result
in improved performance?

I verified with EXPLAIN that the index is used in every case for the update.

My postmaster version is 7.1.3.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Medora Schauer
Sr. Software Engineer