Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg <christoph.berg@credativ.de> writes:
> Re: Michael Paquier 2017-12-15 <CAB7nPqTra6ZkPr0xTmHY0J4gmKwbStbMmaKMa9Kswb2bZxe=yw@mail.gmail.com>
>> Why reinventing the wheel when there is already --with-extra-version
>> that you can use for the same purpose?

> That modifies the PG version number as such, as what psql is showing
> on connect. I'd think that is too intrusive.

I'm really pretty much -1 on having two different ways to do very nearly
the same thing, with the differences determined only by somebody's
arbitrary choices of where they think the modified version should be
exposed.  IMO, either you think the Debian package version is important
enough to show, or you don't.  (I'd incline to the "don't" side anyway.)