Re: Nicer error when connecting to standby with hot_standby=off

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Nicer error when connecting to standby with hot_standby=off
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2021/03/24 1:20, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Mar-23, James Coleman wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 1:46 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>
>>> Therefore for now what we've not reached the consensus is what message
>>> should be logged at PM_STARTUP. I'm thinking it's better to log
>>> "the database system is starting up" in that case because of the reasons
>>> that I explained upthread.
>
>> I understand your point now, and I agree, that makes sense.
>
> Please note that PM_STARTUP mode is very very short-lived.  It only
> starts happening when postmaster launches the startup process, and
> before the startup process begins WAL replay (as changed by
> sigusr1_handler in postmaster.c).  Once WAL replay begins, the PM status
> changes to PM_RECOVERY.

True if archive recovery or standby server. But during crash recovery
postmaster sits in PM_STARTUP mode. So I guess that we still see
the log messages for PM_STARTUP lots of times.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center