Re: [BUG] pg_stat_statements and extended query protocol

От Imseih (AWS), Sami
Тема Re: [BUG] pg_stat_statements and extended query protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> How does JDBC test that? Does it have a dependency on
> pg_stat_statements?

No, at the start of the thread, a sample jdbc script was attached.
But I agree, we need to add test coverage. See below.

>> But, I'm tempted to say that adding new tests could be addressed
>> separately though (as this patch looks pretty straightforward).

> Even small patches can have gotchas. I think that this should have
> tests in-core rather than just depend on JDBC and hope for the best.
> Even if \bind does not allow that, we could use an approach similar to
> libpq_pipeline, for example, depending on pg_stat_statements for the
> validation with a test module in src/test/modules/?

Yes, that is possible but we will need to add a libpq API
that allows the caller to pass in a "fetch size".
PQsendQueryParams does not take in a "fetch size",
so it returns all rows, through PQsendQueryParams

https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-exec.c#L1882

Adding such an API that takes in a "fetch size" will be beneficial
not just for this test, but I can see it enabling another psql meta command,
similar to \bind but that takes in a "fetch size".

Regards

--
Sami Imseih
Amazon Web Services (AWS)