Re: Add new option 'all' to pg_stat_reset_shared()

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Add new option 'all' to pg_stat_reset_shared()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On November 8, 2023 11:28:08 PM PST, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 01:50:34PM +0900, torikoshia wrote:
>> PGSTAT_KIND_SLRU cannot be reset by pg_stat_reset_shared(), so I feel
>> uncomfortable to delete it all together.
>> It might be better after pg_stat_reset_shared() has been modified to take
>> 'slru' as an argument, though.
>
>Not sure how to feel about that, TBH, but I would not include SLRUs
>here if we have already a separate function.
>
>> I thought it would be better to reset statistics even when null is specified
>> so that users are not confused with the behavior of pg_stat_reset_slru().
>> Attached patch added pg_stat_reset_shared() in system_functions.sql mainly
>> for this reason.
>
>I'm OK with doing what your patch does, aka do the work if the value
>is NULL or if there's no argument given.
>
>-        Resets some cluster-wide statistics counters to zero, depending on the
>+        Resets cluster-wide statistics counters to zero, depending on the
>
>This does not need to change, aka SLRUs are for example still global
>and not included here.
>
>+        If the argument is NULL or not specified, all counters shown in all
>+        of these views are reset.
>
>Missing a <literal> markup around NULL.  I know, we're not consistent
>about that, either, but if we are tweaking the area let's be right at
>least.  Perhaps "all the counters from the views listed above are
>reset"?

I see no reason to not include slrus. We should never have added the ability to reset them individually, particularly
notwithout a use case - I couldn't find one skimming some discussion. And what's the point in not allowing to reset
themvia pg_stat_reset_shared()?

Greetings,

Andres