Re: odd buildfarm failure - "pg_ctl: control file appears to be corrupt"

От David Steele
Тема Re: odd buildfarm failure - "pg_ctl: control file appears to be corrupt"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/12/23 19:15, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 10:41:39AM -0400, David Steele wrote:
>> After some more thought, I think we could massage the "pg_control in
>> backup_label" method into something that could be back patched, with more
>> advanced features (e.g. error on backup_label and pg_control both present on
>> initial cluster start) saved for HEAD.
>
> I doubt that anything changed in this area would be in the
> backpatchable zone, particularly as it would involve protocol changes
> within the replication commands, so I'd recommend to focus on HEAD.

I can't see why there would be any protocol changes, but perhaps I am
missing something?

One thing that does have to change, however, is the ordering of
backup_label in the base tar file. Right now it is at the beginning but
we need it to be at the end like pg_control is now.

I'm working up a POC patch now and hope to have something today or
tomorrow. I think it makes sense to at least have a look at an
alternative solution before going forward.

Regards,
-David