Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?
Дата
Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers

 > On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 02:21:30PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
 >> However, an alternative would be to backport the new syntax to some
 >> earlier versions. "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" can easily just be
 >> synonymous with "WITH ... AS" in versions prior to 12; there's no
 >> need to support "NOT MATERIALIZED" since that's explicitly
 >> requesting the new query-folding feature that only exists in 12.
 >> Would something like the attached patch against REL_11_STABLE be
 >> acceptable? I'd like to backpatch it at least as far as PostgreSQL
 >> 10.

 Michael> I am afraid that new features don't gain a backpatch. This is
 Michael> a project policy. Back-branches should just include bug fixes.

I do think an argument can be made for making an exception in this
particular case. This wouldn't be backpatching a feature, just accepting
and ignoring some of the new syntax to make upgrading easier.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)