Re: Reduce useless changes before reassembly during logical replication

От Andy Fan
Тема Re: Reduce useless changes before reassembly during logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> This is all true but note that in successful cases (where the table is
> published) all the work done by FilterByTable(accessing caches,
> transaction-related stuff) can add noticeable overhead as anyway we do
> that later in pgoutput_change(). I think I gave the same comment
> earlier as well but didn't see any satisfactory answer or performance
> data for successful cases to back this proposal.

I did some benchmark yesterday at [1] and found it adds 20% cpu time.
then come out a basic idea, I think it deserves a share. "transaction
related stuff" comes from the syscache/systable access except the
HistorySansphot. and the syscache is required in the following
sistuations:

1. relfilenode (from wal) -> relid.
2. relid -> namespaceid (to check if the relid is a toast relation).
3. if toast, get its origianl relid.
4. access the data from pg_publication_tables.
5. see if the relid is a partition, if yes, we may get its root
relation.

Acutally we already has a RelationSyncCache for #4, and it *only* need
to access syscache when replicate_valid is false, I think this case
should be rare, but the caller doesn't know it, so the caller must
prepare the transaction stuff in advance even in the most case they are
not used. So I think we can get a optimization here.

then the attached patch is made.

Author: yizhi.fzh <yizhi.fzh@alibaba-inc.com>
Date:   Wed Feb 21 18:40:03 2024 +0800

    Make get_rel_sync_entry less depending on transaction state.

    get_rel_sync_entry needs transaction only a replicate_valid = false
    entry is found, this should be some rare case. However the caller can't
    know if a entry is valid, so they have to prepare the transaction state
    before calling this function. Such preparation is expensive.

    This patch makes the get_rel_sync_entry can manage a transaction stage
    only if necessary. so the callers don't need to prepare it blindly.

Then comes to #1, acutally we have RelfilenumberMapHash as a cache, when
the cache is hit (suppose this is a usual case), no transaction stuff
related.  I have two ideas then:

1. Optimize the cache hit sistuation like what we just did for
get_rel_sync_entry for the all the 5 kinds of data and only pay the
effort for cache miss case. for the data for #2, #3, #5, all the keys
are relid, so I think a same HTAB should be OK.

2. add the content for #1, #2, #3, #5 to wal when wal_level is set to
logical.

In either case, the changes for get_rel_sync_entry should be needed.

> Note, users can
> configure to stream_in_progress transactions in which case they
> shouldn't see such a big problem.

People would see the changes is spilled to disk, but the CPU cost for
Reorder should be still paid I think.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/87o7cadqj3.fsf%40163.com

--
Best Regards