Re: Interface Guidance and Opinions Needed

От Douglas McNaught
Тема Re: Interface Guidance and Opinions Needed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Chris Golden" <cgolden@gcgrp.com> writes:

> This is my first time posting to this forum and I am very new to
> PostgreSQL.  I am very excited about using it.  I have set up a
> database and just need a point in the right direction on
> interfacing.  I have an orders and messages database.  One of the
> providers I would like to interface with has sent me an XML spec to
> make HTTPS posts to.  I am just wondering what would be the easiest
> thing to use to implement the two.  I would like to scan my database
> for new orders then do an HTTPS post to the provider.  I would also
> like to periodically check for new orders/messages from the provider
> via an HTTPS post and bring them into my database (a constant
> exchange of information).  I am wondering if something like PHP
> would be a universal solution, or something similar?

This would be a good project for any of the scripting languages (PHP,
Perl, Python, Ruby).  Since you're a beginner it might be best to look
at Python, as it's well-designed for people who are just starting
out.

Probably the simplest approach would be to write two programs, one
that does the database scan and posts new orders via XML; the other
would connect to the provider, get messages via XML and insert them
into the database.  Each one would do its thing until there was no
more work to do, and sleep for a small amount of time before checking
again.

Hope this helps you get started!

-Doug