Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607
Дата
Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607
Список pgsql-bugs
> Longer term I'm looking for something better than that though, because
> it doesn't address the root cause (need for stable identifiers), and
> will only ever allow us to fix problems with the old unstable names
> *after* users complain that their database is dead, 3-6 months after
> in fact due to release cycles.  I think a dynamic mapping file might
> be better?  (Maybe win32locale.c should be able to read that kludge
> table from a file that you can give it with an environment variable,
> or something like that?)

+1 for the long-term solution being more-stable locale identifiers.
However, we should try to build something that will let users get
out of these situations with the existing identifiers, so I like
your idea of a plain-text mapping file for Windows locale names.
I don't think an environment variable is necessary; just define
a fixed name "$PGDATA/locale_map.txt" or such.  If that file
exists, just read it and map the pg_database field values with it.

Maybe this shouldn't even be Windows-specific?  Are there any
cases where it'd save people's bacon on other platforms?

Сообщение: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607
Сообщение: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607