Re: postgreSQL UPPER Method is converting the character "µ" into "M"

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: postgreSQL UPPER Method is converting the character "µ" into "M"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/6/23 11:22, Helmut Bender wrote:
> Am 06.09.23 um 16:04 schrieb Sai Teja:
>> In my local it is windows OS and locale is English_united_states.1252
>> and in local it is converting as expected ( testµ into TESTµ)
>
> You wrote PostgreSQL is hosted on an utf-8 system. That's why it's
> working different.
>
> And be careful: the M isn't the uppercase latin m, but in fact the
> uppercase µ (U+039C in unicode)! If you would compare it to latin
> alphabet 'TESTM' it would be different.

Yep, there are interactions between the encoding used by your terminal,
the server encoding, and the client encoding.

You have to be particularly careful when cutting and pasting that the
client encoding and your terminal encoding match or you can get
surprising results.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team