Re: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/5/21 3:52 AM, Amit Langote wrote:
> Tsunakwa-san,
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 1:21 PM tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
> <tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com> wrote:
>> From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com>
>>> Yes, it can be simplified by using a local join to prevent the update of the foreign
>>> partition from being pushed to the remote server, for which my example in the
>>> previous email used a local trigger.  Note that the update of the foreign
>>> partition to be done locally is a prerequisite for this bug to occur.
>>
>> Thank you, I was aware that UPDATE calls ExecInsert() but forgot about it partway.  Good catch (and my bad miss.)
>
> It appears I had missed your reply, sorry.
>
>> +       PgFdwModifyState *fmstate = resultRelInfo->ri_FdwState ?
>> +                                                       (PgFdwModifyState *) resultRelInfo->ri_FdwState :
>> +                                                       NULL;
>>
>> This can be written as:
>>
>> +       PgFdwModifyState *fmstate = (PgFdwModifyState *) resultRelInfo->ri_FdwState;
>
> Facepalm, yes.
>
> Patch updated.  Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the patch, it seems fine to me. I wonder it the commit
message needs some tweaks, though. At the moment it says:

    Prevent FDW insert batching during cross-partition updates

but what the patch seems to be doing is simply initializing the info
only for CMD_INSERT operations. Which does the trick, but it affects
everything, i.e. all updates, no? Not just cross-partition updates.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company