Re: Change the name

От Shashank Tripathi
Тема Re: Change the name
Дата
Re: Change the name  (Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 26/09/2007, John Wang <johncwang@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga@snaga.org> wrote:
> > In Japan, many people pronounce 'Post-gres' or 'Pos-gre',
> > but such ambiguous pronunciation is not a serious problem
> > for us (PostgreSQL community). In fact, PostgreSQL has
> > many users and large market-share in Japan.
>
>  One of the proposals is to have 'Post-gre' become an accepted name along
> with PostgreSQL and Postgres. This may solve the situation.

I am not sure on what this observation is based? Japan as a market
would be very pleased if the name was Postgres, as this is how it gets
pronounced most often in my experience -- in the entire CJK market.

I've heard (third-hand, I admit) that Postgre (without the S) would
please people in Latin America, so if you're working with
Brazil-returned Japanese, then I could see where you're coming from.
But we have on our team a Venezuelan and he actually prefers Postgres
because, in his words, "it doesn't leave the word hanging and sounds
more like a word".

Anyway, it seems this thread has outlasted almost every other thread,
ever :) Isn't it time there was a website dedicated to this purpose?
With a poll perhaps.