Re: Autovacuum, too often?

От Harald Armin Massa
Тема Re: Autovacuum, too often?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Glyn,

Our legacy apps have some permanent tables that they use for tempory data and constantly clear out, I've kicked the developers and I intend to eradicate them eventually (the tables, not the developers).

and what is the problem with this usage? That is a perfectly valid thing to do; PostgreSQL can handle that for centuries; no need to kick the developers :)

These tables are constantly being autovacuumed, approximately once a minute, it's not causing any problem and seems to be keeping them vacuumed.

That is the right thing to do.

       pages: 21 removed, 26 remain
       tuples: 2356 removed, 171 remain
       system usage: CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.08 sec

As you described, that temp-tables get filled and cleared regularly ... that is "insert <a lot of stuff>" "delete <the same stuff again>"; so there are lots of "unused" i.e. deleted tuples, which get recycled by your vacuuming. And that with nearly no CPU usage.

Sounds fine to me :)

Best wishes,

Harald

--