Re: BUG #17994: Invalidating relcache corrupts tupDesc inside ExecEvalFieldStoreDeForm()

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: BUG #17994: Invalidating relcache corrupts tupDesc inside ExecEvalFieldStoreDeForm()
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

On 2023-06-29 Th 10:26, Tom Lane wrote:
After (not) sleeping on this overnight, and discussing it with a
colleague this morning, here's a suggestion. We have a hash table, keyed
by (tdtypeid, attnum) where we store a datumCopy'd version of the value.
If it's present just return the value instead of getting it from the
tupdesc. The hash table is blown away at the end of the transaction.
Assuming that's workable I think it would not be a large patch.
That sounds possibly workable.

OK, good, we have a plan.

I'm a bit concerned about added
overhead, and about whether the hashtable needs invalidation support.
It might be better to key it off (relfilenode, attnum).

re overhead: getmissingattr isn't called at all except for "off the end" attributes. Setting up the hash table at most once per txn doesn't seem likely to cost much, and even that won't be done if getmissingattr isn't called.

re relfilenode: we don't have it in getmissingattr, so that would involve looking it up or whacking around the API. Neither of those seem good. Do you have any reason for thinking tdtypeid will not be sufficient?

re invalidation: that seems to suggest that the missing value could change under us. I don't think it can, but if it can then more than just this is broken. If not, how would invalidation affect us?

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan