Re: Documentation patch for ALTER SUBSCRIPTION

От David Christensen
Тема Re: Documentation patch for ALTER SUBSCRIPTION
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> On Feb 4, 2020, at 8:45 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 2:05 AM David Christensen <david@endpoint.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> Enclosed find a documentation patch that clarifies the behavior of ALTER SUBSCRIPTION … REFRESH PUBLICATION with new
tables;I ran into a situation today where the docs were not clear that existing tables would not be re-copied, so
remedyingthis situation.

> It seems this is already covered in REFRESH PUBLICATION, see "This
> will start replication of tables that were added to the subscribed-to
> publications since the last invocation of REFRESH PUBLICATION or since
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION.".  As far as I understand, this text explains the
> situation you were facing.  Can you explain why the text quoted by me
> is not sufficient?

Hi Amit,

From several reads of the text it was not explicitly clear to me that when you issued the copy_data that it would not
effectivelyrecopy existing tables in the existing publication, which I had been trying to confirm was not the case
priorto running a refresh operation. I had to resort to reviewing the source code to get the answer I was looking for.

If you are already familiar with the operation under the hood I am sure the ambiguity is not there but since I was
recentlyconfused by this I wanted to be more explicit in a way that would have helped me answer my original question.

Best,

David