Re: pg_basebackup: errors on macOS on directories with ".DS_Store" files

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: pg_basebackup: errors on macOS on directories with ".DS_Store" files
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> On 21 Apr 2023, at 05:02, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> After applying the change, sendDir excludes some files in the the
> following steps.
>
> 1. Excludes "." and ".." quietly.
>
> 2. Excludes files starting with "pgsql_tmp", quietly.
>
> 3. (new) Excludes files begins with '.', quietly.
>
> (checks signal)
>
> 4. Excludes everything suggested by excludeFiles then reports the
>  excluded files using DEBUG1.
>
> 5. Excludes files based on more complex conditions.
>
> These steps seem a bit arbitrary. Is there any reason we keep step 1
> seprate from step 3,

I'm not sure I follow.  While "." and ".." and hidden files share a leading '.'
character they are vastly different and combining them in the same check would
trade lines of code for readability.  I'm not sure that's a net win.  If you
mean that the checks should be reordered such that hidden files are checked for
before "pgsql_tmp", then that seems equally arbitrary no?  There is no reason
to believe that hidden files would be more frequently found than "pgsql_tmp
files.  I don't have strong opinions on the order, I'm just not sure either is
better than the other.

> and step 2 seprate from step 4?

The commit message for 6ad8ac60262 doesn't explain why pgsql_tmp was left out
of the excludeFiles table, but my guess is that it's either an optimization or
a deliberate choice to not DEBUG1 log skipping temporary files.  I didn't go
digging in the archives to find the corresponding thread but there might be
clues to be had there.

--
Daniel Gustafsson