Re: UUID v7

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 6 Jul 2023, at 15:29, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 at 14:24, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>
>>> On 22 Jun 2023, at 20:30, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Some small updates as I see them:
>>> - there is revision 7 now in https://github.com/ietf-wg-uuidrev/rfc4122bis
>>> - noticing that there is no commitfest record, I created one:
>>
>> I will actually go ahead and close this entry in the current CF, not because we
>> don't want the feature but because it's unlikely that it will go in now given
>> that standardization is still underway.  Comitting anything right now seems
>> premature, we might as well wait for standardization given that we have lots of
>> time before the v17 freeze.
>
> I'd like to note that this draft has recently had its last call
> period, and has been proposed for publishing early last month.

Sure, but this document is in AD Evaluation and there are many stages left in
the IESG process, it may still take a fair bit of time before this is done.

> Sure, it's earlier than the actual release of
> the standard, but that wasn't a blocker for SQL features that were
> considered finalized either.

I can't speak for any SQL standard features we've committed before being
standardized, it's for sure not the norm for the project.  I'm only commenting
on this particular Internet standard which we have plenty of time to commit
before v17 without rushing to beat a standards committee.

Also, if you look you can see that I moved it to the next CF in a vague hope
that standardization will be swift (which is admittedly never is).

--
Daniel Gustafsson