Re: pg_service.conf ?

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: pg_service.conf ?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 14-Mar-06, at 10:52 AM, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> Note that libpq takes the perspective that pg_service.conf should
>> live
>> in the ../etc directory for the PostgreSQL build.  Thus, if psql is
>> living as /opt/dbs/pgsql825/bin/psql, then this would be in
>> /opt/dbs/pgsql825/etc/pg_service.conf.
>
> The big thing here is "how do we find the config file?". The JDBC
> driver has no concept of an "installation" .. it's just classes
> that the JVM manages to load somehow.

This is the biggest concern. In a case where a user runs a jdbc
client manually from the command line this is straight forward;
however it is quite problematic for drivers running in something like
a web application, or some other "container"

Practically speaking I don't have an issue implementing this, however
I can see this being a challenge managing the support for it. There
appears to be some ambiguity as to where the file is kept.