Re: When extended query protocol ends?

От Michael Zhilin
Тема Re: When extended query protocol ends?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2/22/24 14:09, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
Apparently, sending an extra message would increase the overhead of the protocol, thus reducing the efficiency of the application.
What is the benefit of sending extra Sync?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/protocol-overview.html#PROTOCOL-MESSAGE-CONCEPTS
suggests that is is fine to mix both simple and extended messages
depending on the needs of the application.
Yes, it's fine to mix and match extended and simple protocol. But the
protocol docs quite clearly state that a sync is required before going
back to the Simple protocol: "At completion of each series of
extended-query messages, the frontend should issue a Sync message."
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/protocol-flow.html#PROTOCOL-FLOW-EXT-QUERY
I would like to say this document states that "at completion... frontend should issue a Sync message... causes the backend to close the current transaction"
It looks like the sense of wording is "to complete transaction" at the eventual end of traffic, but not "to switch to single protocol".
Otherwise, we can't use both protocols under same transaction that looks too strict limitation.

Terminating a sequence of extended messages with a Query message
instead of a Sync message is definitely undefined behaviour.

--
Michael Zhilin
Postgres Professional