Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> I repeat. I am not arguing a particular solution. I am arguing against
> creating more internal infrastructure and the relevant support
> requirements when other solutions exist.

Who said anything about internal infrastructure?  We'd be helping
another open source project flesh out and test a possibly-incomplete
area of their code, not undertaking a fork.  (Now, if they rejected
patches on the grounds that they don't care about CVS, then this
doesn't work, but I can't imagine they would; they do have partial
support for it.)

Now, switching to some other SCM might indeed create some new support
requirements.  I was a bit surprised to read this on another mailing
list yesterday:

>> From a relative time to install from source standpoint it looks like
>> this:
>>
>> CVS        - 10  minutes (no external dependencies)
>> GIT        - 8   minutes (no external dependencies)
>> Mercurial  - 1   minute (depends on Python)
>> Subversion - 4-6 hours (depends on a multitude of packages and will
>>                          only work with specific versions which you
>>                          learn about the hard way at build time).

For those on platforms where SVN comes prepackaged, this might not be
a big problem (except maybe for pulling in packages they don't want).
For other developers this kind of thing could be a showstopper.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan