Re: [HACKERS] Use of non-restart-safe storage by temp_tablespaces

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Use of non-restart-safe storage by temp_tablespaces
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On May 29, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> Right now we don't document that temp_tablespaces can use
> non-restart-safe storage, e.g. /tmp, ramdisks.  Would this be safe?
> Should we document this?

The only safe way to do temporary tablespaces that I have found is to extend
the grammar to allow CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE, and then refuse
to allow the creation of any non-tempoary table (or index on same) in that
tablespace.  Otherwise, it is too easy to be surprised to discover that your
table contents have gone missing.

If the project wanted to extend the grammar and behavior in this direction,
maybe temp_tablespaces would work that way?  I'm not so familiar with what
the temp_tablespaces GUC is for -- only ever implemented what I described
above.

Mark Dilger