Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings
Дата
Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-docs
On 5/31/23 7:53 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 31 May 2023, at 13:16, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
>> The first two hunks are pretty straightforward, they just move the existing text around.
>>
>> For the other two, which are not supported on Windows, I added an explicit parenthetical note.  We don't list which
ofthe Unix-like platforms support the respective options, but I suspect that it's all of them in practice?  (Otherwise
weshould be more explicit.)  So I think calling out Windows explicitly is sensible, also considering that the first two
settingsare supported on Windows but the latter two are not.

> I think this is a clear improvement over the current docs.

+1.

Small nit:

"which does not include Windows" =>
"which is not supported on Windows"

(in two places)

> Should we call out Windows explicitly in the same way in the corresponding
> options in the libpq connection string param docs as well?

Probably, but I see language like this:

"It is only supported on systems where TCP_USER_TIMEOUT is available; on
other systems, it has no effect."

If this is really only unsupported / has different settings on Windows,
I think it's OK to call that out. The original gripe was about
readability, but if we think the description in the other settings is no
clear enough, we can edit it.

Jonathan

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 16 release notes: could cloud
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 16 release notes: could cloud