Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow to_timestamp(float8) to convert float infinity to timestam

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow to_timestamp(float8) to convert float infinity to timestam
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'm inclined to just drop the out-of-range test cases.  They're not that
>> useful IMO, and alternate expected-files are a real PITA for maintenance.

> Hm. Actually, they are quite useful to check error boundaries, so why
> not just simplifying the error message to "timestamp out of range" and
> remove the value from it?

Meh.  I realize that there are a lot of places where we just say
"timestamp out of range" rather than trying to give a specific value,
but it's really contrary to our message style guidelines to not print
the complained-of value.  I think we should leave the ereport calls as-is
and remove the test cases; to do otherwise is putting the regression tests
ahead of users.  The upper-boundary test is quite dubiously useful anyway,
because it has to test a value that's very far away from where the
boundary actually is in most builds.