Re: Commit to primary with unavailable sync standby

От Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti
Тема Re: Commit to primary with unavailable sync standby
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 19/12/2019 12:25, Andrey Borodin wrote:
> Hi Fabio!
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
>
>> 19 дек. 2019 г., в 17:14, Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti <f.venchiarutti@ocado.com> написал(а):
>>

>> You're hitting the CAP theorem ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAP_theorem )
>>

>> You cannot do it with fewer than 3 nodes, as the moment you set your standby to synchronous to achieve consistency,
bothyour nodes become single points of failure.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-replication.html#GUC-SYNCHRONOUS-STANDBY-NAMES)

>> This however makes it tricky to pick the correct standby for promotions during auto-failovers, as you need to freeze
allthe standbys listed in the above setting in order to correctly determine which one has the highest WAL location
withoutrunning into race conditions (as the operation is non-atomic, stateful and sticky).
> After promotion of any standby we still can commit to old primary with the combination of cancel and retry.

AFAICT this pseudo-idempotency issue can only be solved if every query
is validated against the quorum.

A quick-and-dirty solution would be to wrap the whole thing in a CTE
which also returns a count from pg_stat_replication (a stray/partitioned
master would have less than (quorum - 1 standbys).
(May be possible to do it directly in the RETURNING clause, I don't have
a backend handy test that).

You can either look into the result at the client or force an error via
some bad cast/zero division in the query.

All the above is however still subject to (admittedly tight) race
conditions.

This problem is precisely why I don't use any of the off-the shelf
solutions: last time I checked none of that had a connection
proxy/router to direct clients to the real master and not a node that
thinks it is.

>> I personally prefer to designate a fixed synchronous set at setup time and automatically set a static
synchronous_standby_nameson the master whenever a failover occurs. That allows for a simpler failover mechanism as you
knowthey got the latest WAL location.
> No, synchronous standby does not necessarily own latest WAL. It has WAL point no earlier than all commits
acknowledgedto client.

You're right. I should have said "latest WAL holding an acknowledged
transaction"

--
Regards

Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti
OSPCFC Network Engineering Dpt.
Ocado Technology

--

Notice:
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material of

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
immediately and delete all copies of this message. Please note that it is
your responsibility to scan this message for viruses.

References to the
"Ocado Group" are to Ocado Group plc (registered in England and Wales with
number 7098618) and its subsidiary undertakings (as that expression is
defined in the Companies Act 2006) from time to time. The registered office
of Ocado Group plc is Buildings One & Two, Trident Place, Mosquito Way,
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9UL.