Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation

От Drouvot, Bertrand
Тема Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 8/28/23 10:04 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 10:16:02AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> So you mean to switch a line that now looks like that:
>> WAIT_EVENT_FOO_BAR   FooBar        "Waiting on Foo Bar."
>> To that:
>> FOO_BAR   "Waiting on Foo Bar."
>> Or even that:
>> WAIT_EVENT_FOO_BAR   "Waiting on Foo Bar."
>>
>> Sure, it is an improvement for any wait events that use WAIT_EVENT_
>> when searching them, but this adds more magic into the LWLock and Lock
>> areas if the same conversion is applied there.  Or am I right to
>> assume that you'd mean to *not* do any of that for these two classes?
>> These can be treated as exceptions in the script when generating the
>> wait event names from the enum elements, of course.
>
> I have looked again at that, and switching wait_event_names.txt to use
> two columns made of the typedef definitions and the docs like is not a
> problem:
> FOO_BAR   "Waiting on Foo Bar."
>
> WAIT_EVENT_ is appended to the typedef definitions in the script.  The
> wait event names like "FooBar" are generated from the enums by
> splitting using their underscores and doing some lc().  Lock and
> LWLock don't need to change.  This way, it is easy to grep the wait
> events from the source code and match them with wait_event_names.txt.
>
> Thoughts or comments?

Agree that done that way one could easily grep the events from the source code and
match them with wait_event_names.txt. Then I don't think the "search" issue in the code
is still a concern with the current proposal.

FWIW, I'm getting:

$ git am v3-000*
Applying: Rename wait events with more consistent camelcase style
Applying: Remove column for wait event names in wait_event_names.txt
error: patch failed: src/backend/utils/activity/wait_event_names.txt:261
error: src/backend/utils/activity/wait_event_names.txt: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0002 Remove column for wait event names in wait_event_names.txt

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team