Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024, at 11:33 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 5:25 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> I have committed your version v33.  I did another pass over the
> identifier and literal quoting.  I added quoting for replication slot
> names, for example, even though they can only contain a restricted set
> of characters, but it felt better to be defensive there.
>
> I'm happy to entertain follow-up patches on some of the details like
> option naming that were still being discussed.  I just wanted to get the
> main functionality in in good time.  We can fine-tune the rest over the
> next few weeks.

I was looking at prior discussions on this topic to see if there are
any other open design points apart from this and noticed that the
points raised/discussed in the email [1] are also not addressed. IIRC,
the key point we discussed was that after promotion, the existing
replication objects should be removed (either optionally or always),
otherwise, it can lead to a new subscriber not being able to restart
or getting some unwarranted data.

See setup_subscriber.

        /*
         * Since the publication was created before the consistent LSN, it is
         * available on the subscriber when the physical replica is promoted.
         * Remove publications from the subscriber because it has no use.
         */
        drop_publication(conn, &dbinfo[i]);

--
Euler Taveira