Re: Allow passing extra options to initdb for tests

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Allow passing extra options to initdb for tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 14.02.24 06:22, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> I had a longer look at this and can't find any issues with the code or
> documentation changes.

Thanks, committed.

> I did wonder whether it would be worth mentioning that any initdb
> options set in "PG_TEST_INITDB_EXTRA_OPTS" will override those
> which can be set by pg_regress, but of the four ("--no-clean", "--no-sync",
> "--debug" and "--no-locale"), only the optional  "--no-locale" can actually
> be overridden, so it doesn't seem important.

I thought about this.  We don't have a man page for pg_regress, so there
is no place to comprehensively document all the options and their
interactions.  The documentation in regress.sgml works on a makefile
level.  AFAICT, the --debug option is not exposed via the makefiles at
all, while --no-locale can be requested by the environment variable
NOLOCALE, but that is not documented, and also not ported to meson.  I
think if you want tweaks on this level, there is some expectations right
now that you might need to study the source code a bit.

One thing that might be interesting would be to allow running initdb
without the --no-sync option, to exercise fsync a bit.  But there is no
"--yes-sync" option to override --no-sync, otherwise you could do it
with the just-committed feature.