Re: server crash on recursive function invocation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: server crash on recursive function invocation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ali Baba <idofyear@yahoo.com> writes:
> i was just trying recursive function invocation and got a server crash when i changed a GUC variable max_stack_depth,
to a high number.

There's a reason why that variable is a superuser-only setting: you're
supposed to have some clue what you're doing when you change it ;-)

If you need more stack space, what you generally have to do is adjust
the ulimit setting that the postmaster is started under.  You can set
max_stack_depth up to a few hundred K less than the postmaster's
ulimit -s setting, but not more.

(We wouldn't even have the variable if there were a sufficiently
portable way to find out the ulimit stack depth automatically, but
there's not one that I know of.)