Priorities for 6.6

От Tom Lane
Тема Priorities for 6.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck writes (over in pgsql-sql):
>     * WE STILL NEED THE GENERAL TUPLE SPLIT CAPABILITY!!! *

I've been thinking about making this post for a while ... with 6.5
almost out the door, I guess now is a good time.

I don't know what people have had in mind for 6.6, but I propose that
there ought to be three primary objectives for our next release:

1. Eliminate arbitrary restrictions on tuple size.

2. Eliminate arbitrary restrictions on query size (textual  length/complexity that is).

3. Cure within-statement memory leaks, so that processing large numbers  of tuples in one statement is reliable.

All of these are fairly major projects, and it might be that we get
little or nothing else done if we take these on.  But these are the
problems we've been hearing about over and over and over.  I think
fixing these would do more to improve Postgres than almost any other
work we might do.

Comments?  Does anyone have a different list of pet peeves?  Is there
any chance of getting everyone to subscribe to a master plan like this?