Re: Issue with the PRNG used by Postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Issue with the PRNG used by Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I just want to mention that I have heard of "stuck spinlock" happening
> in production just because the server was busy. And I think that's not
> intended. The timeout is supposed to be high enough that you only hit
> it if there's a bug in the code. At least AIUI. But it isn't.

Well, certainly that's not supposed to happen, but anecdotal reports
like this provide little basis for discussing what we ought to do
about it.  It seems likely that raising the timeout would do nothing
except allow the stuck state to persist even longer before failing.
(Keep in mind that the existing timeout of ~2 min is already several
geological epochs to a computer, so arguing that spinning another
couple minutes would have resulted in success seems more like wishful
thinking than reality.)