Re: Request for replication advice

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Request for replication advice
Дата
Список pgsql-general
direvus@gmail.com ("Brendan Jurd") writes:

> On 11/11/06, Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
>> >
>> > Those are two different methods: you'd use one or the other, not both.
>>
>> Slony has its own log shipping, I think that was what he was referring
>> to.
>
> Indeed I was; sorry if my terminology caused confusion.
>
> The reason I am looking at Slony with log shipping is that it can
> operate across a one-way connection, whereas plain Slony requires
> communication in both directions.  A bi-directional connection would
> negate the purpose of having two separate databases, which is to
> protect the internal database (and the internal network as a whole)
> from a compromised external system.
>
> If we were willing to have a bi-directional connection, I don't see
> any further disadvantage in allowing the external application(s) to
> connect straight into our internal postgres database over the IPsec
> tunnel, and ignoring the replication issue entirely.

Let me point out one possible downside to using Slony-I log shipping;
it may not be an issue for you, but it's worth observing...

Log shipping works via serializing the subscription work done on a
subscriber to files.  Thus, you MUST have at least one subscriber in
order to have log shipping work.  If that's a problem, that's a
problem...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/oses.html

Сообщение: Re: Request for replication advice
Сообщение: Re: Request for replication advice