Re: 10.0

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06/17/2016 10:04 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Merlin Moncure wrote:
>
>> Ugliness is a highly subjective qualifier.  OTOH, Backwards
>> compatibility, at least when the checks are properly written :-), is a
>> very objective benefit.
>
> This is the argument that made us kept the PostgreSQL name instead of
> renaming back to Postgres.  I'm not a fan of it.

Well ... no.

We kept the PostgreSQL name for three reasons.

Back in 2005, which was the last time we could have reasonably changed
it, nobody had the time/energy to do all of the
search-and-replace-and-contact-every-packager required.  The folks who
were most enthusiastic about the change wanted someone else to do the
work.  Plus, our Japanese community, which was like 40% of our worldwide
community at the time, was opposed to the change.

The third reason is that we have a registered trademark on "PostgreSQL",
but "postgres" is public domain.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)