Re: status/timeline of pglogical?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: status/timeline of pglogical?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 05/11/2016 04:10 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 11 May 2016 at 23:40, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us
> <mailto:bruce@momjian.us>> wrote:
>
>     I encourage mentioning external tools in the right context --- we need
>     more of that.
>

> Good to know.
>
>     I think the question is whether a beta announcement is
>     the right place for external tool announcements.
>

> The only reason this has been brought up is that pglogical is a tool
> designed to reduce the impact of upgrades. No other tool has ever been
> available externally to do that, apart from pg_upgrade which was

Slony, Londiste (Which are still more useful in some ways, although
PgLogical has them beat from a performance standpoint hands down)

> accepted into core in quite a poor state. So this discussion has not
> been about "external tools" it has been about the one and only external
> tool that provides an improved upgrade route.

No it wasn't? In fact this whole thread started as:

"""
1. is it easily installable as an external extension?  if so, where can
people download it?

2. are the issues raised on -hackers likely to be resolved by September?

3. is it ready for playing with now?  can people get as far as test
setups with it?
"""

Which was originated because I thought it might be good to mention tools
in the Beta announcement draft I wrote with feedback from Haas.

> We can add some mentions in the docs in appropriate locations, for
> example, the detailed release notes and upgrade pages.

If it becomes a proper community project (not necessarily a .Org
project) then yes sir, let's do it! If not, then I suggest it go in the
app listing on the website (just like any other product).

Sincerely,

JD

> --
> Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/ <http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>