Create tables based on another table

От Anshuman Kanwar
Тема Create tables based on another table
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi all,

I want to have a table that lists all other tables in a database. For
example:

table Project_List (
    project_id   integer;
    project_name text;
      project_type text;  -- can have values simple/complex
);

Now I want to automatically create a new table in the database whenever an
entry is made in this "Project_List". Based on "project_type", this new
table could have 2 different structures.

if $project_type is "simple"

    create table $project_name (     -- I want this to be filled in
                                     -- from the new row just added
                                     -- in the above table
        file_id integer;
        file_name text;
    );
else

    create table $project_name (

        file_id integer;
        file_name text;
        file_chksum text;
    );
fi

What mechanism can I use to accomplish this ? Could anyone point me to any
documentation ?

Thanks,
-ansh