Re: Alter or rename enum value

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Alter or rename enum value
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/24/16 10:27 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> It's conceivable that we could do something like adding an "isdead"
> column to pg_enum and making enum_in reject new values that're marked
> isdead.  But I can't see that we'd ever be able to support true
> removal of an enum value at reasonable cost.  And I'm not really sure
> where the use-case argument is for working hard on it.

I wonder if we could handle this by allowing foreign keys on enum
columns back to pg_enum. Presumably that means we'd have to treat
pg_enum as a regular table and not a catalog table. Due to locking
concerns I don't think we'd want to put the FKs in place by default either.

I've certainly heard people avoiding ENUMs because of their limitations,
so it'd be nice if there was a way to lift them.