Re: fd.c doesn't remove files on a crash-restart

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: fd.c doesn't remove files on a crash-restart
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/16/2016 10:56 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

>> I understand that this is designed this way. I think it is a bad idea
>> because:
>>
>> 1. The majority crash-restarts in the wild are going to be diagnosed rather
>> easily within the OS itself. They fall into things like OOM killer and out
>> of disk space.
>
> I don't buy 1), like at all. I've seen numerous production instances
> with crashes outside of os triggered things.

I don't argue that. I argue that 9 times out of 10, it will not be one
of those things but ....

>> 3. The problem can get worse over time. If you have a very long running
>> instance, any time the backend crash-restarts you have to potential to
>> increase disk space used for no purpose.
>
> But I think these outweigh the debugging benefit.

Well as Andrew said, we could also create postmaster start option that
defaults to don't save.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564