Re: Relation extension scalability

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: Relation extension scalability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/03/16 03:46, Dilip Kumar wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 5:31 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com
> <mailto:Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com>> wrote:
>
>     FWIW, this is definitely a real possibility in any shop that has
>     very high downtime costs and high transaction rates.
>
>     I also think some kind of clamp is a good idea. It's not that
>     uncommon to run max_connections significantly higher than 100, so
>     the extension could be way larger than 16MB. In those cases this
>     patch could actually make things far worse as everyone backs up
>     waiting on the OS to extend many MB when all you actually needed
>     were a couple dozen more pages.
>

> I agree, We can have some max limit on number of extra pages, What other
> thinks ?

Well, that's what I meant with clamping originally. I don't know what is
a good value though.

--   Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services

От: Petr Jelinek
Сообщение: Re: Relation extension scalability
От: Petr Jelinek
Сообщение: Re: pl/pgSQL, get diagnostics and big data