Re: JPUG wants to have a copyright notice on the translated doc

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: JPUG wants to have a copyright notice on the translated doc
Дата
Re: JPUG wants to have a copyright notice on the translated doc  (Ioseph Kim <pgsql-kr@postgresql.kr>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/04/2016 05:39 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> JPUG (Japan PostgreSQL Users Group) would like to add a copyright
> ntice to the Japanese translated docs.
>
> http://www.postgresql.jp/document/9.5/html/
>
> Currently "Copyright 1996-2016 The PostgreSQL Global Development
> Group" is showed on the translated doc (of course in Japanese). What
> JPUG is wanting is, adding something like "Copyright 2016 Japan
> PostgreSQL Users Group" to this.

As I understand it the translation would be copyrighted by the people
that do the translation so it is perfectly reasonable to have JPUG hold
the copyright for the .jp translation.

> The reason for this is, "Copyright 1996-2016 The PostgreSQL Global
> Development Group" may not be effective from the point of Japan laws
> because "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group" is not a valid
> entity to be copyright holder according to Japan's laws. To prevent
> from abuses of the translated docs, JPUG thinks that JPUG needs to add
> the copyright notice by JPUG to the Japanese translated docs (note
> that JPUG is a registered non profit organization and can be a
> copyright holder).

Considering they are BSD licensed, I am not sure what abuses could be taken?

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564