Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/04/2016 04:41 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> As far as I understand it,
> Bruce came in near the end of that conversation and now wants to claim
> credit for something that doesn't really exist yet and, to the extent
> that it does exist, wasn't even his idea.

Robert,

This does not sound like Bruce at all. Bruce is a lot of things,
stubborn, sometimes temperamental, a lot of times like you... a hot head
but he does not take credit for other people's work in my experience.

> get reasonable plans, something that currently isn't true.  I haven't
> heard anybody objecting to that, and I don't expect to hear anybody
> objecting to that, because it's hard to imagine why you wouldn't want
> queries against foreign data wrappers to produce better plans than
> they do today.  At worst, you might think it doesn't matter either
> way, but actually, I think there are a substantial number of people
> who are pretty happy about join pushdown and I expect that when and if
> we get aggregate pushdown working there will be even more people who
> are happy about that.

Agreed.

> That's exactly what the people at EnterpriseDB who are actually doing
> work in this area are attempting to do.  Meanwhile, there's also
> Bruce, who is neither doing nor planning to do any work in this area,
> nor advising either EnterpriseDB or the PostgreSQL community to
> undertake any particular project, but who *is* making it sound like
> there is a super sekret plan that nobody else gets to see.  However,

I don't see this Robert. I don't see some secret hidden plan. I don't
see any cabal. I see a guy that has an idea, just like everyone else on
this list.

> as the guy who actually wrote the plan that EnterpriseDB is following,
> I happen to know that there's nothing more to it than what I wrote
> above.

Even if there was, so what? IF EDB wants to have a secret plan to push a
lot of cool features to .Org, who cares? In the end, it all has to go
through peer review and the meritocracy anyway.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564