Re: Declarative partitioning

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Declarative partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 8/18/15 12:31 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Also this would be useful for range
> partitions:
>
> CREATE PARTITION ON parent_table USING ( start_value );
>
> ... where start_value is the start range of the new partition.  Again,
> easier for users to get correct.

Instead of that, I think it would be more foolproof to do

CREATE PARTITION ON parent_table FOR ( value1, ... );

instead of trusting the user to get the exact start value correct.

Though... I guess there could be value in allowing an exact start value
but throwing an error if it doesn't sit exactly on a boundary. Might
make it less likely to accidentally create the wrong partition.