Re: Filesystem Direct I/O and WAL sync option

От Dimitri
Тема Re: Filesystem Direct I/O and WAL sync option
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Gregory, thanks for good questions! :))
I got more lights on my throughput here :))

The running OS is Solaris9 (customer is still not ready to upgrade to
Sol10), and I think the main "sync" issue is coming from the old UFS
implementation... UFS mounted with 'forcedirectio' option uses
different "sync" logic as well accepting concurrent writing to the
same file which is giving here a higher performance level. I did not
expect really so big gain, so did not think to replay the same test
with direct I/O on and fsync=on too. For my big surprise - it also
reached 2800 tps as with fsync=off !!! So, initial question is no more
valid :))

As well my tests are executed just to validate server + storage
capabilities, and honestly it's really pity to see them used under old
Solaris version :))
but well, at least we know what kind of performance they may expect
currently, and think about migration before the end of this year...

Seeing at least 10.000 random writes/sec on storage sub-system during
live database test was very pleasant to customer and make feel them
comfortable for their production...

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Best regards!
-Dimitri