Re: really novice with Postgres !

От Kevin Salisbury
Тема Re: really novice with Postgres !
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
>>> Jean MAURICE <mauricejea@numericable.fr> 8/2/2013 10:47 AM >>>
<...>
but now, I want do 'upgrade' datas from VFP to Postgres 'step by step' and
'automatically'. I have a customer (1200 workers) who have this huge VFP app
(roads, homes, ... building from price calculation to 'work management' (hope
you understand)). This app was build in 1996. For a year, I am improving it
within VFP. He has a new 'computer scientist' who is a fan of Postgres and I
agree with him to upgrade datas to posgres. But it's a long way to go ...

For me, it's the first time I do such an upgrade but it is not the last one. I
mean : VFP client + Postgres database is a very efficient 'couple' and customers
have 'relief' when they know that datas are not in VFP !
<...>

Jean,

pgdbf will allow you to convert data once from vfp to new Postgres table(s) every time you run it. It's static if that
makessense. You can schedule synchronizing - how long it takes to synchronize depends solely on your hardware and
amountof VFP data you have. Converting to postgres is an excellent idea - it will allow your customer to access
numerousbusiness intelligence / reporting capabilities right away. If you cannot redesign the clients quickly, then it
isalso possible to configure your VFP clients to access the postgresql tables instead of dbf (via the postgres ODBC
driver).Start here;

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Very-basic-question-from-a-beginner-td5626124.html

Regards,

Kevin